These are the Divine Chocolate Cupcakes with Best Buttercream Frosting from Baked in Maine. They’re a lot less sweet than the M&M cupcakes. Which means you can eat more. (Also I’m getting the hang of doing the icing, hoorah)
* 2 cups flour (sub. 1 cup whole wheat flour)
* 2 cups sugar
* 4 heaped Tbsp cocoa
* 226gm butter
* 1 cup boiling water
* ½ cup buttermilk (I make my own by adding lemon juice to milk)
* 2 eggs
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp vanilla essence
Pre-heat oven to 180oC (350oF).
1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.
2. In a saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in cocoa.
3. Add boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, remove from heat. Pour over the flour mixture, and stir lightly to combine.
4. In a measuring cup, add beaten eggs, pour the buttermilk, baking soda, and vanilla. (not sure why the baking soda is added with the wet ingredients)
5. Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into your pan and bake for 15-20 minutes (or until done).
Best Buttercream Icing
* 85gm butter, softened
* 2 2/3 cups icing sugar
* 2/3 cup cocoa
* 5-6 tablespoons milk
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Beat the butter in a medium mixing bowl.
2. With the mixer on low, add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, scraping sides of the bowl often.
3. Add vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.